By Frances Maguire Paist
• A Column Extension is a spacer that brings the steering system
closer to the driver.
• Manual Hand Controls allow the braking and acceleration systems to
be controlled manually by the driver’s hand instead of foot.
• Powered Gas and Brake Systems supplement driver force and motion
with vehicle power to control acceleration, speed and braking.
• Joystick Control is a system that allows operation of multiple
functions with a single lever.
• A Left Foot Accelerator is installed to the left of the brake
pedal and allows vehicle acceleration with the driver’s left foot.
• Low or Minimal Effort Braking is a modification that reduces the
• Manual Parking Brake Extension is a handle that allows the parking
brake to be set with the driver’s hand. The Electric Parking Brake
is a motor or actuator that sets and releases the parking brake
• A Power Seat Base is installed beneath the manufacturer’s seat and
permits the original seat to be moved in a combination of directions
as needed. A Removable Seat Base allows a factory seat to be removed
or repositioned while still maintaining equipment specifications.
• A Gear Shift Extension is a device that attaches to the original
gear selector and permits increased leverage.
• An Adapted Key Holder improves key grip and turning leverage.
• A Car Top Carrier is an integrated wheelchair lift and storage
compartment for a manual wheelchair. With this adaptation, the
wheelchair is lifted and stored on the roof of the car.
• Wheelchair Securement is a manual or electronic tie-down system
that holds the wheelchair steady in a moving vehicle.
• A Scooter Hoist or Lift facilitates the loading and unloading of a
scooter into a vehicle.
• GM’s Sit ‘N Lift Power Seat is a fully motorized, rotating lift
and lower passenger seat that makes vehicle entrance and exit much
The GM Mobility Reimbursement
Program reimburses customers up to $1,000 off of the cost of any
eligible aftermarket adaptive equipment. Making lives better for
those whose lives have been drastically altered is a calling well
worth pursuing. Adaptive equipment? Think of it as a driving force.