- Grievance procedure-Is there a procedure in place?
- If there is one, ask other patients if it works.
- Is there a patient’s council?
- Are patient’s involved in the decision-making process?
- Financing-Check what services Medicaid or Medicare covers.
- Any extra costs above the room rate?
That should get you beginning to consider
what things are most important to you and your
loved one when selecting a nursing home
facility. The transition to one of these homes
may be difficult at first so be there on moving
day, and bring items that are familiar to
furnish the new room with. Family photos are
ideal to make it seem you’re your family is
“there” even when you’re not. Always remember to
visit often to show your loved one that someone
out there still cares. On special occasions you
could even go out. The bottom line is whatever
is best for your loved one.