by Cheryl Smith, MA
When you decide to seek help from a professional care
manager, you’ll get the answers you are looking for,
plenty of options, and the emotional support you need.
When To Seek Help
If you are asking yourself the following questions, a
geriatric care manager might be the answer:
• Are my parents safe in their home?
• Are bills being paid on time?
• Should my parents be driving?
• Are my parents’ health concerns taking me away from my
• Are the problems that my parents are facing becoming
larger and more complex than I can comfortably manage?
• What kind of help would increase safety while
maintaining my parents’ dignity and independence?
• What kinds of assistance can my parents afford?
• What local resources might my parents benefit from?
(Adapted from the National Association of Professional
Geriatric Care Managers)
Find a Geriatric Care Manager
Visit the National Association of Professional Geriatric
Care Managers website
www.caremanager.org for a
searchable database of reputable national care managers.